Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Never the Same

One of my friends, a student from mainland China, has recently taken a great liking to onion rings. He really really loves onion rings. The other day we were eating together, and as I looked at his plate full of onion rings, I told him that he was in trouble. He was never going to be the same. He had crossed a culinary line, and there was no going back. Since he has now lived in two different countries, he'll never be satisfied. Wherever he goes, he'll miss something from another country.

I miss mangosteens (I actually count the months--17 months since I ate a mangosteen last, sigh).
I miss lychees.
I miss hot soy milk served on the streets in the morning.
I miss mangoes and sticky rice.

I miss the markets and the people in them.

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

It's funny, you and my sister both wrote your most recent blog posts about traveling and never feeling at home in a given place....I guess I'm starting to feel that way too. There will be things that I'll really miss here when I leave. But I still long to be home....wherever that may be :)

jc said...

Your sister is a smart woman. :) Welcome to the world of living-in-too-many-places. I do understand though the longing for home. Even though I'm not 100 percent satisfied with life in the US, there are places here that are mostly home. What are some things you miss?

Tiffany said...

Strangely, I miss Publix. Of course I miss the people and the church life. The church here is wonderful though too. I miss a regular home, with carpet ;) There is no carpet in Saipan. I miss my cat a lot too! But luckily I have plenty of tofu, which makes up for most of the things I miss ;) lol

Mai said...

I miss life over seas..... it feels more real, tangible, gritty way from here. And I miss mangoes and sticky rice, too!

jc said...

Tiffany: I think it makes perfect sense that you miss Publix. I would get weirdly homesick in Thailand whenever I went into an American grocery store. Yes, carpet too! It's so warm beneath your feet. And Abu. :( I was just thinking of Abu the other day. See he even made a mark on me. I'm glad you are finding consolation in tofu! Btw, they play the Advent Hope video with Ronald in it every Friday night so you guys won't be forgotten here! We had our biggest turn out ever Friday night. 100+ newish people. But then we did have a guest speaker--Jeffry Rosario.

Mai-Rhea: I always felt life was boiled down to what really mattered when I was abroad. I felt more alive overseas because of that!

Mai said...

Agreed. There's too much excess over here. I long for the simple, uncluttered, minimalistic way of life!