Thursday, October 7, 2010

Beyond Imagination

As a child I took verses like "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us" (Ephesians 3:20) as a personal challenge. I felt that if I could imagine something wonderful God would have to beat me at it. If I imagined a three bedroom house in heaven, he'd have to make me a five bedroom mansion.

Today I ran across this statement in the writings of Ellen White, "All heaven awaits our demands upon its wisdom and strength."* It made me think of my childhood trying to outimagine God. I want to outdemand (if that is possible) God. Not only do I want to take every challenge of my life to him, but I want to stretch my imagination to ask for great things.

*Patriarchs and Prophets p. 554.

No comments: