Friday, October 8, 2010

Heaven's Society

I'm a pretty big fan of the social sciences. I fantasize that someday someone will just give me lots of money so I can do things like study economics, geography, history, sociology, anthropology for fun!

Sometimes I like to think about heaven in relationship to social studies. I think about the economics of heaven (I am pretty sure there will be an economy--just a vastly different one), and I think about the sociology of heaven. What will a society look like where the primary impetus of everyone in that society is love? How will it be to live in a place where everyone's interest is in the pleasure of the other people around them?

To live in such a place will be safe and fun and growable (I make up words--but really isn't being loved is one of the greatest ways to grow?)

Sometimes I imagine walking down heaven's main street and seeing the faces there. I imagine how each face will be unique but there will be a kindness blended into each person's features. Maybe there will be even a certain pleasure-to-see-you expressed by each person I see.

When I'm having bad days, when I've encountered a particularly unloving person, I try to think (not always successfully I must add!) about heaven, and I think about how the unkind person might just one day by God's grace be transformed into the most loving person I know on heaven's main street.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

You are such a positive person Julie! I like to think about heaven too, I just need to do it more often. I've been seeing a lot more of heaven lately in my imagination....it helps to be around the innocence of children ;)

jc said...

Thanks Tiffany. :) I can imagine you are seeing much more of heaven through your students. Btw, I've been happy to see that you are getting settled into your teaching life in Saipan. I had to laugh at one of your Facebook comments awhile ago about eat, pray, work...Yup,that too often describes life abroad.

Mai said...

I like that way of thinking, I'm gonna try that!