Friday, January 7, 2011

The Week

Pass me not, O gentle Savior,
Hear my humble cry;
While on others Thou art calling,
Do not pass me by.

Refrain

Savior, Savior,
Hear my humble cry;
While on others Thou art calling,
Do not pass me by.

This is the song I listened to on repeat coming home from vespers tonight. It's a good song. A song that drips peace into my heart.

It's the end of a busy week. It was a good hard discouraging and encouraging week. I had a good start with my classes (Yay for engaged students!), but I was sick. Sickness plus a little bit of the devil trying to kick sand in my face (he likes to make me think that I will always have the same struggles) made me a little discouraged. But Thursday night the simplest gift lifted my spirit. I met a friend at a bookstore to tutor him on writing essay exams for the TOEFL. It was such a pleasure to use a skill I have to help a friend that my mood picked up exponentially. Then, while he was doing some writing, I wandered around the bookstore and picked up a book that looked interesting. As I skimmed it, I came across a sentence that seemed to answer a question I've struggled with for awhile. The answer fit into a wider picture of a small emotional journey that I have been on since I came to Florida. And I was simply reminded there of two things: God is leading me and there is much hope for my life.

Hope is a powerful thing. The difference between feeling like "I'm stuck" and "there's much possibility of growth" is the difference between dragging myself through the day and bouncing (yes, I bounce)through the day.

3 comments:

Karla Salazar said...

Praise the Lord for this powerful testimony! Thank you for sharing, Julie! I was eager to hear more about this story at Advent HOPE on Friday night. Sorry I didn't get to hear the rest of it live.

Had a blast singing, laughing, walking...and freezing (at Cranes Roost) with you today. Have a great week!

Desvaríos Dorisianos said...

Glad to hear you're bouncing again! :) Have a great week!

jc said...

Karla: Ha, ha, yes, next time I start telling you my testimony for the week, I'll make sure I won't start it 5 minutes before song service. Yesterday was a high Sabbath...the music was so much fun. I could have done without the freezing, but I think jumping up and down helped. :)

Doris: The bouncing reference came from a conversation I had with you. You told me once that I had lost my bounce over a certain issue (I mean person). I was touched that you noticed.