Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Middle

The rain came down hard but there was only one umbrella to share between my aunts, my mom, my grandparents, and myself. Since I was small (around 5 years old at the time), they stuck me in the middle. I looked up at them and using brilliant kid logic told them that they should join me in the warmest driest place under the umbrella--the middle.

I've started to read a book by Ty Gibson called A God Named Desire. In one of the first chapters he draws a diagram of what the relationships in heaven might look like. Instead of a hiearchy he draws a circle: God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit form a circle with every member of the universe branching out from that circle.

Monday morning I as I prayed I realized that I typically pray to either Jesus or to God so I decided to pray to Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit at once. As I prayed the image from Ty's book came to my mind. I imagined the Trinity in a huddle. I realized that as I addressed all three of them that I was in the middle of their love.