Thursday, January 20, 2011

Mine!

It's hard to share when you are four. Other kids take your toys when you want to keep them. Your uncles or aunts sleep in your bedroom and you kicked out. You have so little control over so little things,and then (gasp) the best day of your year gets taken by your aunt. You see, my niece had a problem sharing something with me this year. My sister asked her to wish me a happy birthday, but she refused. "No," she said, "It's my birthday!"

It's hard to share. It's hard to share when you are four, when you can't see that some spaces are better shared--that sharing (more often than not) enriches instead of diminishes. That the best things in life: joy, friendship, ministry, money, food (!) are all made sweeter by sharing.

I love sharing a birthday with my niece (she's the best present ever), and I look forward to when she can love it too!

1 comment:

Mai said...

Awww...... that's sweet that you share the day! Happy Birthday!!! Hope it was a great one! :)