Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The God of Worst Case Scenarios

When I decided to move back to the states, I had a good look at what might happen. I thought about how I could never come home risk free. I counted the risk. I asked myself, what would be the worst case scenario? The worst case scenario would be that I would look for work and not find anything and then be forced to find part time work and scrape by by living with my parents. (I really could have been a little more creative in devising a slightly more devastating worst-case-scenario.)

Right now, my worst-case-scenario seems to becoming true. With the exception of one full time job that I could possibly still get (but I won't know until August 14) there is nothing else on my plate jobwise. I have two weeks with no jobs to apply for and really nothing to do.

I confess I'm longing for specific direction. I anxious to do something while I wait. I've been asking God, "Should I start applying for part time work here?" "Should I send in my resume to Korea?" But the only answer that comes is: wait.

This morning I was praying, "Lord, what am I supposed to do with my day?" And the answer made me laugh. It seemed God said, "Enjoy your vacation."

Father, you know that I'm anxious, and not easily waitable. You know that today, despite my best intentions, I let my fear-of-the-future override my trust in You. Thank you that you are the God of worst case scenarios.

5 comments:

Deanna Beryl said...

Julie, I know this sounds crazy, but...how do we know God's answer? The part where he says "Enjoy your vacation"...did he actually like literally said it? Or you're impressed that he's saying that?

Sorry I hope you don't misunderstand me or anything like that (and I don't mean to put you on the spot!). It's just that, when people say "God tells me to..." etc...I get envious. I mean, God speaks to you? How about me?

Okay I'm rambling. But anyway, I'm glad God tells you to 'enjoy your vacation'. :) Sometimes we get too caught up with our situation and perhaps, maybe now (or never!) is your time to just enjoy the time you have.

:) Thinking of you!

Daniel said...

Hi Julie

It sounds like a tough time to find a job! Praying for you as you practice "waiting on God". I need to learn that, too!
Enjoy your holiday! :-)

jc said...

Thanks for your prayers Marlise. :)

ET said...

Well, Julie, it may be a difficult thing to wait on the Lord for guidance.

It is the age old question of knowing God's will for your life.

It brings to my memory when I was about your age, when I came upon this short story about a young farmer turned into a newly minted pastor-preacher. He was really struggling in his ministry and came to a much older, wiser pastor-counseler.

The older man asked the younger man, how was he led into the ministry. The younger shared the story of how he saw the clouds in the sky formed the acronym: GPC. He concluded that was the message for his life's work: Go Preach Christ.

After a very disappointing struggle where he was clearly ill fitted for the ministry when he sought counsel, the older counseler shared with him this thought: May be GPC meant: Go Plow Corn!!!

The point is, take care into not reading too much into impressions or signs or coincidences or Bible texts without asking from the Lord for the WHOLE PICTURE in making an interpretation for guidance and direction.

So, enjoy the respite that you are having at the present. Lean upon the Lord, and He will direct your path.

Yours,

Ernest

jc said...

Thanks Ernest, I like the story!