Thursday, July 2, 2009

Thy Will Be Done: A Quote

"But is this prayer, 'Thy will be done,' not after all a secret surrender of what one has prayed for? That is not the case. It does not mean: 'I am not happy about my petition, dear heavenly Father . . . It was intended only provisionally, and I would rather take it back. . . yes, Father I renounce my bread. Thy will shall not be bound by my little wishes. Thy will shall sweep onwards great and sublime over my little, little affairs.' This is just what the words 'Thy will be done' do not mean. They mean: 'Thou undestandest my prayer better than I understand it myself (Rom 8:16). Thou knowest whether I most need hunger or bread. Whatever may come, I will say 'Yes, dear Lord' (Matt 15:17). For I know that in everything thy will gives fulfillment--beyond my asking and my comprehension (Eph 3:20)."

p. 20, Between God and Satan, Helmut Thielicke

No comments: