Wednesday, July 22, 2009

I didn't know that

I like learning from people. The other day I went to a party of a sixteen year old that I'd never met. (Don't ask. Well, it has something to do with the pastor's family being invited.) Anyway, a the party I met a woman in her early 70s who had lived in Bangkok when she was five years old. She told me that after Thailand surrendered to Japan that all the foreigners sympathetic with the allies were rounded up and put in prison camps. She with her family were put in a camp at Thammasat University. The camp was guarded by Thais and not by the Japanese. The Thai guards were fairly kind captors. They even threw green mangoes into the camp for the prisoners on occasion. She told me that they were fed rice and water buffalo meat and on occasion their friends could bring them vegetables.

The woman I met told me that after six months her family was sent to Mozambique and exchanged for Japanese prisoners there. Eventually after the war her family returned to Thailand and her dad worked at Mission hospital.

Well, that's my history lesson today. I have more yet to learn on the topic! So I guess it's not always a bad thing to go to parties for people you don't know. You never know who you might meet.

No comments: