Friday, June 5, 2009

A Little Surprise

I'm typing this in the dark on my bed in the cabin my family is renting. My youngest niece is sleeping near me and my oldest niece is using my laptop screen light to read. I'm trying to type quietly. Hmph. Try to type quietly.

I just had a funny thing happen. The kind of funny thing that happens to me. I was walking back from taking out the trash and I ran into Marcus L. playing with his friends outside the camp's meeting house (it is an SDA camp). "Marcus," I said, "Where's your mother?" He looked at me as if it was the most normal thing in the world to see me in California. "She's inside." I eventually found Elizabeth and we talked for awhile. While we were talking, the kids from her church (she's up here on a church retreat and I'm up here on a family reunion), kept running around us saying that they had seen a bear. This is plausible--I saw two bears yesterday. I had to laugh. Who would have thought Elizabeth and I would be in the mountains of California surrounded by little children yelling excitedly about bears? I was so grateful to have someone to talk with about Thailand.

No comments: