Monday, June 15, 2009

Days Going By

The days are sliding by. I've spent most of them inside working on applying for jobs, but I've had good breaks. My family is here. Brother, sis, sis-in-law, parents, and kiddos (Sophia, 6 years old; Anders, 4 years old, and Bella, 2 years old). The kiddos break up the routine of work. They make me laugh. Today I was in charge of keeping them occupied. My sister and my mom were putting some final touches on an Italian dinner (fettuccine, eggplant Parmesan, garlic bread, Greek salad, and green beans), and the kiddos were getting underfoot. I took them outside and we played with bubbles. Bella especially loved chasing the bubbles with her tongue out. I suppose they are better if you can taste them!

Today was my sister's birthday. She actually made the food for herself (oh, I helped fry the eggplants--as my friends know I'm a master at little things!). Bella's two year old happy birthday greeting for my sister was, "happy to you, cake?" Well, I think she has the basics down. Yeah for cake! We also had ice cream. Five different kinds and I still ate the same one I had last time we ate ice cream: Mint chocolate moose tracks. The vanilla with fresh strawberries was awfully tempting though. But no...I must stick with mint chocolate!

So I guess I'm meandering in this blog. I'm listening to the dish washer and my uncle and sis-in-law talk shop about photography and website creation. This is just a calm end of a pleasant day. I've had another quiet day. Not much need to talk. Oh, and when I did finally have the urge to speak tonight I told this story that I realized had no point and didn't know how to wrap it up. I had to laugh about that. There's something somewhat horrible and funny about starting valiantly into a story and realizing that the story is going no where. I usually want to wrap things up as quickly as possible to get over the awkward pause when someone else has to look for a way to repick up the conversation.

Tomorrow I return to Sacramento. Gasp. Before I go I have some clothes to find for a wedding I'll be in this weekend back in Yosemite. The clothes are most likely on the bottom of five heavy boxes (that's where the shoes were and I forgot to look for this item of clothing when I was hunting for those darn shoes!). I pretty much tore up the garage looking for those shoes.

I'm going to bed soon. The mad dash of a day that will come tomorrow should motivate me to make my bed and get in it! But one more thing:

Whenever I fly I always look down at the houses and wonder what is happening inside. Tonight my uncle set his camera on a tripod and we took several family photos. As we were taking the photos...I thought..."this is what is happening in THIS house." This is my story. My little life lived in a small house among a bunch of people saying, "cheeeeeeeeeeese."

4 comments:

American Swede Photography said...

Julie, I have to say, I love how you write! I, too, wonder what's happening in all those houses beneath me when I fly. Fun thought, someone seeing (hearing?)our family saying "Cheese" a thousand times over to Uncle Monty. :)

Desvaríos Dorisianos said...

...hehe I read "...Before I go I have some clothes to find for a wedding..." and I thought, "Yay, Julie is going shopping..." and then I read "box". Oh well. :) I'm enjoying your writing, as always, on Sat. pm with my laptop on the mini-ironing board...that's what's going on in this half-full house. :) I keep forgetting to mail your CD (you know how I rush out the door to work every morning) but promise to do it soon!

jc said...

Hi Kristen, maybe it's a good thing they couldn't hear our "cheese". Though Bella's "eeeze" is quite cute.

jc said...

Did you know Doris that I was laying in bed this morning wondering what all the people in Thailand were doing? It was a Sunday morning so I imagined you were watching TV (getting the last bit of your weekend in). I woke up at 6 ish (I was sharing a room with 3 other people) so I got up and took a shower. I somehow imagined you would make fun of me for being my "morning self".