Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Vietnam, Day 2

I'm sitting in an Internet cafe listening to the man beside me describe his travels in Asia. Today was a long but good day--and it's not over yet (I have shopping yet to do!!) :)


I took a city tour of Ho Chi Minh City with nine other women (funny how no men took the tour--maybe they're more comfortable going on their own.)


We did the usual shopping (yeah, I'm spending millions of dong!) but we also went to a museum for war crimes (US war crimes). The musuem was pretty painful. I almost cried a couple of times. It's hard to see pictures of Americans torturing Vietnamese. I want to think/dream/hope that my countrymen would be above that. The choking up though was for the Americans and the Vietnamese.


One intriguing part of the museum was a section dedicated to war photographers killed in the conflict. For each photographer who died, there was a collection of the last photographs he took. It's sobering to look at the last photographs a person took.

No comments: