Friday, May 29, 2009

Home

There are no geckos here. No tokays. In fact, there seem to be no cicadas either. My sister's house is so quiet. Last night I laid awake for awhile marveling about how quiet it is here. I didn't sleep very much--jet lag messes with your mind a little. I was up by 4 am ready to eat supper since it was 6 pm in Thailand.

The quietness is just one of the small adjustments I'm making to being here. Last night as we left San Francisco and as I watched the lights of the city fade behind me, I felt this sadness/fear in the pit of my stomach. I wondered, "Can I really pull this off?" No, I'm not having second thoughts about my decision to come home, but I just feel far away from my home. I mean that on both levels: far from my Thai home and far emotionally from my American home.

I know the good things will start coming soon. Already this weekend I'm getting together with two friends. I reminded myself this morning that I felt this way last year and that by the end of the summer I was sad to leave the states. Also, I told myself, "God is still leading. He was with you in Thailand and he'll be with you as you shape your new life in California."

4 comments:

Desvaríos Dorisianos said...

Well, I can express mail you my resident tukay anytime you want! :)
Hope you find your "home" wherever you may be!

Laura said...

It sounds like you are missing Thailand enough to satisfy me! Glad you're meeting up with friends and experiencing at least a little reverse culture shock! We miss you!

jc said...

Yes, Doris, do mail me the tukay. :)

Laura, I was really missing Thailand in church this morning. After church I met a former missionary family...that made me happy.

Daniel said...

Funny, I think the last thing I'd miss about Thailand is the church! Let's see when my turn comes...

I hope you have fun this weekend meeting up with friends! I miss you here!