Saturday, May 23, 2009

A Rainbow

All the colors seem sharper at MC since I came back from my brief trip to Vietnam. The greens are greener; the blues, bluer. I've just been walking around the campus admiring how beautiful it is here. I usually get this feeling when I return to MC. I suppose if you spend too many days here then campus's beauty becomes muted.

On my ride back to MC from Bangkok, I saw an incredible rainbow (if you could call it that since it was in the shape of a circle). It was formed in a small break in the clouds where the sun was shining through. It was as if God took a bucket of colors and spilled them all over the clouds. The colors spread out in every direction: bright yellows, blues, and reds. I gazed at it from the van window and actually wondered if I was seeing a vision. "Is this real?" I asked myself. It looked so much like the pictures we Adventist make of the second coming. I had several texts come to my mind from the Bible. "The Lord himself shall descend with the trump with the voice of an archangel and the dead in Christ shall rise first." "And I saw a new heaven and a new earth...behold the old was gone." And I thought of the martyr Stephen looking into the heavens and seeing God.

It was strange. I was having an ordinary trip back from Bangkok--somewhat bored and uncomfortable in the van--and then out of no where this rainbow comes. It was a small gift. "The rainbow is a promise."

2 comments:

Captain Cook said...

Hey Sis!

I just read your blogs about Vietnam and the ones immediately before and after. Thanks for the great picture of what you experienced over there. I remember that story that Merv Kesler told too. You were only seven? What a memory. Looking forward to seeing you soon!

jc said...

I don't remember exactly how old I was, but yeah the story stuck in my mind. Yeah!!! I can't wait to see you.