Sunday, January 4, 2009

On Being Quiet

Yesterday I was in one of my quiet moods. I didn't feel like saying much. I went to a friend's house for lunch. She had several people over. Two children, one baby, and five adults can create a lot of noise, and the noise made me happy because I could just slip under it and listen. There were great conversations going on around me, but I mostly watched and reacted and listened.

Then for supper I went out with some other friends to a nice restaurant. We ate outside on couches. There was a man playing a guitar at the restaurant. He sang Spanish songs and English love songs; he even came to our table and serenaded us with several songs. It was a delightful evening--peace inducing, but not very helpful for getting me out of my quiet mood.

I like being quiet. I think it saves me trouble (I usually say things I regret!). I even enjoy being around other people when I don't feel like talking. I find something comforting in conversations that I am not participating in. Maybe being quiet slows me down and helps me enjoy the world around me. I am thankful for quiet days.

PS The candle is from our restaurant last night.

2 comments:

Desvaríos Dorisianos said...

Hah...all that quiet will come to an end soon...I'm coming back this week!...Are my fish still alive? :)
...Serenaded by Spanish songs? How come I never get to go to those places when I'm there?! :) I loved the picture of the candle.

Lorena said...

Quiet times are good sometimes.. because they are just what we need.. Happy '09!! It's not too late yet ;)