Monday, January 26, 2009

Today I missed....

Today I missed American grocery stores. The soothing music playing overhead (none of the loud and repetitive how-do-I-make-you-love-me music of TESCO-Lotus). The smell bread when I walked in the door. The sanity of being able to walk through the store without running into someone. The pleasure of one whole aisle dedicated to cereal. There is fresh flowers, fresh donuts in those stores; there is eggs actually stored in the fridge, milk in all its forms: low fat, whole, skim, and soy; fruit, cherries, peaches, plums, pears, blackberries, and raspberries . . .

I know that I will miss Thailand. Ironically, in the past, some of my missing-Thailand-moments came the strongest when I was shopping; I think it's because I had time to think. (I do my best thinking while shopping.)

So here's to next year! To grocery stores! To life again in America! And to missing this country that has come to mean so much to me.

3 comments:

Deanna Beryl said...

It's like an ode. Ode to missing Thailand. :(

jc said...

Funny, na. I didn't mean to start it that way...I was just thinking about how much I missed the states which then rolled into missing Thailand.

American Swede Photography said...

Wow, you sound truly committed to your commitment of coming "home"!

Grocery stores do that to me, too, even though my adult life has all been in the States. But grocery stores in FL are nothing like in MD, etc. Hmmm . . .

So you'll come home and miss all that music, bumping into people, wonder why in the world there's so MUCH cereal. . . Or maybe not. :)