Monday, January 19, 2009

Inside Worlds

The other day a student stepped backward and into me in the cafeteria checkout line; he apologized quickly saying, "I'm sorry I was just singing."

This incident made me happy. Mostly because I like to sing to myself when I'm alone and I've had numerous awkward moments when I've turned a corner singing quite loudly only to encounter someone I barely knew. I also laugh out loud; this has given me even more embarrassment in public than singing.

We all live in our own little worlds. Sometimes our little worlds are happy places like the student singing to himself in the cafe. Sometimes it's just a pleasure to be inside one's self and comfortable there.

Other times we are, as one author I read recently said, spinning on the little axis of our own fears and worries. This author suggested the cure for this endless internal spinning is the salve of other people.

So here's to happy times in your own thoughts! And here's to people! We need them both.

No comments: