Monday, August 3, 2009

Big Miracles vs. Small Miracles

I am a huge fan of the dramatic. I like the goose-bump raising stories that show that God was definitely present (something along the lines of crossing the Red Sea). I've been telling God that I could sure appreciate a big miracle. I've even told Him that I think it would make Him look good if He did something really dramatic and obvious. Maybe He could give me a fantastic job in a great city with lots of fun people to get to know. Wouldn't it be clear to everyone what a good God He is if He did something great like that for me? (See, I'm not manipulative at all.) However, I'm also reminded that sometimes God is glorified not just in the big miracles but in the small ones too. Sometimes God is glorified not in a dramatic story (though I'm positive He's a fan of dramatic stories!) but in providing me the grace and strength to live faithfully for Him no matter what my circumstances are.

I think of Moses. It took Moses forty years of faithful (non-glamorous) sheep herding before he ever saw something as astounding as the Red Sea crossing. I know that sometimes God gives me Moses' years. He gives me times where He asks me to serve Him faithfully even when I'm not getting exactly what I wanted or what I prayed for. I haven't given up on my big miracle yet! But I've been praying that if this year is another Moses' year that God will give me the strength to live it gracefully and faithfully, and I pray that He will be honored in how I live His small miracle.

As an aside: Several years ago a friend of mine and I were both having an incredibly tough year. I told her, "I think this is our Moses' year." She said, "But he had 40 0f them!"

No comments: