Saturday, October 24, 2009

Finally Gratefully Gainfully Employed

First things first: I'm now gainfully employed. On Friday, my contact person from Florida called me and offered me a teaching job at an allied health college in Orlando. Yahoo!

When I left Thailand, I knew that it would be a long ride before I found full time employment,and I also knew that I could end up anywhere in the world. I remember constantly wondering where that anywhere in the world would be. I would have never never guessed Florida.

California, Oregon, Washington, but Florida? Not that it's a bad place (well, it is really really flat), but it it is not necessarily on my list of places that I'm dying to live. Florida is not on the bucket list.

But the job is good and despite my complaints about the flatness of the state--I look forward to being near the beach.

I still have some big hurdles: finding a place to live and finding a car are at the top of my hurdle list, but I'm grateful for the small piece of security that having a full time job entails. And while I know very little about what life holds for me in the coming months, I do know one thing--I know where my office is!

7 comments:

heidileanne said...

Congrats Julie!! I'm so excited for you and your new job. And I haven't looked at a map to see how close you'll be to David and Kristin, but I know you'll be a whole lot closer to them now than the rest of us! :) And I know you will find your niche out there. Can't wait to hear about your house hunting/car buying adventures, and the start of your new job. :)

American Swede Photography said...

She'll be about 8 hours' drive, 2 hours' flight from us. :) We are happy!!!

Seriously, Julie, I completely lament Florida's flatness with you. I SOOOOO understand that feeling! It's painful to me still, after 5 years of being gone. I never dreamed you'd land in Florida, either, nor did we ever dream that. !!! Some things just catch you by surprise. Hopefully this will be a good surprise as it unfolds.

jc said...

Thanks Heidi. :)

Kristen, I'll be looking for those flights or investing in long drives. It will be nice to be close to you guys. Really, you were the one that first helped me see how FLAT the state is.

Marlise said...

Hi Julie!! Congratulations!!! If all comes to worse, you can always live in your office until you find an apartment (hee hee). All the best with the search!
Really excited for you.

jc said...

Yup Marlise, I'm quite used to living in my office! So you're right, who needs an apartment when you have an office.

Deanna Beryl said...

Julie, YAY! We should celebrate (ok mental note, post celebration the next time we meet!) I'm happy for you!

Ps - It's so obvious I'm catching up with your entries, hih

jc said...

Deanna, the next time we meet--we can celebrate at Secret Recipe!