Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Walls

I don't like walls, emotional walls that is. I don't like feeling left out of a friend's life if that person is important to me. But recently, I heard something powerful about walls that gave me pause.

I heard an author (it was an audiobook) say, "Respect a person's wall. It is often there for a reason."* The author then explained how a person will put up a wall if he doesn't feel safe. My job is not to tear down a wall or to demand that someone let down his wall, but simply to show by my actions that I'm a safe person. In time, if I can show myself trustworthy the wall may come down.

The nice thing about this thought is it gives me something to do when I feel anxious about a friend's wall. I can direct my energy and prayers toward creating a safe environment. One of the simplest things I'm working on to create this environment is watching what I say. Every time I gossip or complain about someone, I create a wall between the person I gossip to and myself. How can a person trust me if I'm not in control of my own tongue?

Today I was struck with another thought about walls. I realized that I need to respect my own walls. I need to not feel obligated to trust a person right away. I can take my time in any relationship to observe a person before I trust her. Respecting my own walls but still remaining open to people stabilizes my relationships. Strangely enough, it is a form of trust. I trust a person to give me the leeway and time I need to let down my own walls.

The book I was listening to is called The DNA of Relationships.

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Julie, I always love your posts. You write good, thoughtful pieces that are pithy and make me think. This one is no exception. Excellent thoughts, with the ring of truth from my own experience. Thank you!

jc said...

Wow, thank you for your words of encouragement. :)