Friday, September 11, 2009

Superpowers & Troubles

I've always wished I had superpowers. It would be cool to freeze time or become invisible, but more than anything else I wish I had the power to intercept trouble when it heads in the direction of my friends' lives. I can just imagine a big bad wad of trouble heading their way and I jump in front of it--KABOOM--I obliterate it. Now THAT would be cool.

This summer I was discussing with a friend some of the struggles she was going through. I told her that I wished I could come between her and those struggles and take them away. She responded that if the troubles had never come she wouldn't know what she knows about herself now.

Now that I'm having my own piddly troubles (they look about the size of a puddle next to other people's lakes), I've been thinking a lot about her words. What are these piddly troubles teaching me? What gift of grace is in them? What blessing should I grab from them?

2 comments:

Marlise said...

Hi Julie! I'm so excited to hear you have a job! It sounds like a tough one too - I'm struggling with my Junior Sabbath School kids, but they're nothing compared to yours! Praying for you!

Marlise

jc said...

:)