Saturday, February 11, 2012

Stop Asking for Help

The title for the sermon today was "Change Your Prayer". The preacher, an Elder Joel Tompkin, told about how his father, when he became a Christian gave up gambling, womanizing, and drinking, but he couldn't quit smoking no matter how hard he tried. For the longest time his father prayed, "Lord, help me to quit smoking". But nothing came of it. Finally he prayed, "Lord, I'm helpless" and that's when the temptation to smoke lost its power over him.

Then the preacher focused on the following story:

"So He asked his father, 'How long has this been happening to him?' And he said, 'From childhood. And often he has thrown him both into the fire and into the water to destroy him. But if You can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.' Jesus said to him, 'If you can believe,[a] all things are possible to him who believes.' Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, 'Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!'” (Mark 9:21-24).

The man had to change his prayer. We have to change our prayer. We need to stop praying, "Lord help me" prayers and start praying, "Lord I'm helpless" prayers. The preacher said, "I'm convinced that the 'Lord help me prayers' often go unanswered, but [God] cannot pass, 'Lord, I'm helpless' prayers."

4 comments:

Marlise said...

I loved this! So often we try to fix our problems ourselves, and it doesn't work because we're not letting God help us. Thanks for sharing!

jc said...

I've been trying to practice this sermon this week. "Lord, I'm helpless!" It's a funny prayer to prayer--not one I'd feel proud of praying out loud. Glad you liked it.

Karla Salazar said...

I love how our prayers evolve...and as a result, our seemingly gigantic problems dissolve. I love prayers...especially the ever-changing and humbling ones! :)

Thanks for this great post, Julie!

jc said...

Thanks Karla. :) Yes, our prayers do change & our walk with God does too!