Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Everlasting Love

One of my earliest memories is a trip to the store with my mom's friend to buy potato chips. (I must have been three or four.) Why that little slice of memory (the coil spring in the back sticking through the chair, the bags of potato chips, my car seatless state) stays with me I'm unsure.

But tonight I was thinking about the text "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving kindness" (Jer 31:3). And I thought about my first memory. His everlasting love was there. His everlasting love touched my life when I was small (how I needed it then) and it touches my life still (how I need it now!). His everlasting covers before I was born, my first memories, my early childhood struggles, my teenage years, my young adult life, this moment, tomorrow morning, ten days from now, and into eternity. Every place, every day, every moment is marked by love.

Sometimes I think about us humans. I think about our struggles to love and be loved. His everlasting love has entered that struggle; it is breaking the cycle of our brokenness and leading us into an eternity of His love.

2 comments:

Captain Cook said...

Perhaps you remember it because you were stopped by the police on the way home? Are we thinking of the same memory?

jc said...

Really? I don't know. I don't remember anyone except Dorether, the potato chips and the spring. And heck, sometimes, I don't (given how fallible memory is) know if this is a real memory!