Thursday, November 27, 2008

Yesterday

Yesterday was Thanksgiving. My parents, sister, nieces, aunts, uncles, cousins, cousin's kids all got together at my sister's house. They probably spent most of the day cooking. My mom would have made frozen cranberry salad with whipped cream, my sister probably cooked the turkey, and my cousin most likely brought some pumpkin pie. I would have liked the eating. I would have liked how I would have had to have sat at the "kid" table with all the other "kids" who are now in their late 20s and early 30s. After the meal I would probably would have sat for awhile just trying to let everything settle. I would have played with my two year old niece and then chatted with my elven-year-old niece. My dad most likely would have suggested we go for a walk. We'd go outside and the first thing that would hit me would be how cold it was. I would have run back in and grabbed my black pea coat and stuffed my hands deep into its pockets. My dad and I would have walked against the wind and talked some. We'd probably have talked about religion or politics or whatever was on our minds. Yesterday was Thanksgiving and I worked all day. I had a pleasant supper with the Americans and honorary Americans, but I wasn't home.

3 comments:

American Swede Photography said...

Oh, Julie! . . . So sorry. :( It's not the same, being away from home. I haven't experienced this nearly as much as you have, but the one year that I did, the holidays always felt so lonely and empty. I had quite the pity party for myself on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Here's hoping that maybe one of these years we'll spend one of these holidays with you, and Mom and Dad and Gina and all the cousins. Even though I've only been a part of your family for 11 years now, I totally tasted the food you wrote about, and saw what you wrote. David and I had our own talks about what the family must have been doing last night. Wonderfully predictable, huh?

heidileanne said...

That makes me so sad, yet so much more thankful for the holiday that I was able to celebrate with my family. . .

I do love how wonderfully predictable our family is. It is comforting, like a warm fuzzy blanket you can wrap yourself in and go to sleep with at night. Thanks for painting that beautiful picture of our family for me.

jc said...

Thanks guys for your comments. Yeah, our family is predictable in a comforting kind of way.