Thursday, July 11, 2013

Sweetness

Sweetness doesn't come to the fence with all the other goats. She sits far back in the pasture on an overturned water container and watches, but she doesn't come. Up until a month ago she would have been the first of the smaller goats to come the fence to eat the treats that my nephew and niece offer. That was until a stranger came and cut off her ears. It's a bizarre crime. Why would anyone hurt a goat?

I watch my nephew and niece pull up vines and tie them to the top of the fence. I watch all the goats nibbling up the vines, and I look at Sweetness in the distance--refusing to come. "Even animals lose their trust", I think.

"For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now"  (Romans 8:22).

2 comments:

Mai said...

Oh my goodness, that is totally horrifying!!!! I don't understand such cruelty! Poor thing :'(

jc said...

I don't either.