Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Random Things You Would Most Likely Not See in Thailand

This weekend was sales tax free weekend in Florida so people were out in the stores in droves. As I walked around Target trying to get what I needed without bumping into people, I mused how like Tesco Lotus the moment felt. All I needed was a loud Thai song with the words 'squeeze California' in English interjected into the middle of it to make me feel at home. Over a year ago I tried to record the differences I noticed between Thailand and the US. It was my strategy to cope with leaving. The things I saw weren't necessarily profound. But here they are:

Cereal aisles

Baseball diamonds

Arrowheads (This is just a chance for me to show off my arrowhead collection.)

Streets without motorcycles. I was amazed how few motorcycles I saw on the roads in the US.

Self-tanning solution


Unfinished war memorials

6 comments:

Desvaríos Dorisianos said...

"All I needed was a loud Thai song ... to make me feel at home." I liked your choice of words :)...there was another TESCO song that Marlise and I used to sing because it drove (us and) others mad...can't remember the lyrics now! hmm, Marlise?

Laura said...

I miss you, Julie and Doris! Life isn't the same without you guys here.

jc said...

Doris: Ah the TESCO songs. I sometimes felt that I would go mad before leaving TESCO because of the them. Now you've got me curious. I wonder which song that one was.

Laura: I miss you too!

Marlise said...

Hee hee... "What can I do to make you love me? What can I do to make you caaaaare?" There's the lyrics, Doris!

I laughed at the self-tanning lotion. Yup,none of that here!

And the arrow collection IS cool! I never knew you had one? How'd it all start? :-)

Sendy Monarrez said...

Streets without motorcycles > so true! and the few you get to see are usually Harley-Davidson which do not really make you feel you are in Thailand

jc said...

Marlise: Oh no! You did it. You brought to life that super annoying song. But ahhh what a happy odd memory... As to the arrowheads, my dad and I used to go hunting for them. But most were found quite by accident when I was outside doing something else.

Sendy: Yes, the motorcycle thing was one of the first things I noticed. Where are all the motorcyles? And yeah Harleys don't count.