Friday, February 26, 2010

Donnicate

I've been listening to a Chris Rice CD that I got for Christmas and there is this line where he says, "I'll donnicate and fly to your rescue." I was intrigued by this line. What the heck did donnicate mean? I relished the Latinesque sound of the word and imagined that since the author was saying he would fly to someones rescue then donnicate must be some kind of transmogrification. I thought about how to donnicate must be a real sacrifice for love (wow, to morph yourself for love!). Finally, I read the lyrics to the song. The lyrics actually go, "I'll don a cape and fly to your rescue." I liked my explanation so much better.*

The lyrics to the song I was confused about:

Love, how did I find you?
Was I even breathing before I knew your name?
Who could ever have planned this?
Arranged a whole planet to all turn out this way.
Hey, only Heaven knows
The dreams behind these things I'm asking
Even our angels look surprised
To bump their wings in passing
.........................
Hey, only Heaven saw
The tears I cried
On the day I met you
If the whole world goes wrong
I'll don a cape
And fly to your rescue.

Chris Rice, Let the Words Escape



*This is a paragraph out of an email I sent to Marlise. It felt bloggish so I decided to post it here too. I hope you don't mind Marlise!

6 comments:

Ginger said...

LOL!! Too funny! That's what's called a "Mondegreen." (Look it up in Wikipedia. Very fun.)

jc said...

I checked out the wikipedia article. It's great. :) Thanks for the tip.

American Swede Photography said...

I've laughing!!! You seriously need to write your own dictionary! :)

American Swede Photography said...

I'm laughing!!! You seriously need to write your own dictionary! :)

jc said...

Yes, indeed, I will write it someday! :)

Marlise said...

:-) I was wondering why it wasn't in your blog sooner!