Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Ask, seek, knock.

"It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday
at the sea. We are far too easily pleased." C.S. Lewis in The Weight of Glory

If holiness is the renunciation of desire, than I'm not holy. I often pray for more desire. I pray for God to sharpen my desires. It seems a strange thing to pray. Especially since I constantly strive to keep all of my appetites under control. I know from experience that desires left untended can ransack my life.

Despite the dangers of desires, I pray for God to sharpen my desires because he asks me to ask. He said, "Ask and it shall be given. Seek and you shall find. Knock and the door shall be opened for you." How can I ask, seek, and knock if I have no desire? How can I begin to pray if I just sit on my hands and hope that something good will come of the little things I want out of my life? How many times has my attitude been "No. No. God, I don't ask too much. I would hate to inconvenience you--just give me something small and I'll be satisfied."

Could that attitude be offensive to God? Could my lack of desire reflect on my view of His character? If I believe that God is a generous God, then shouldn't I be in the business of showing that I trust his generosity?

Lord, I want to ask. I want to seek. I want knock and knock some more. Give me the desire to desire. Give me the yearning to yearn. Give me the passion I need to seek the good in life. And in seeking the good in life may I find You.

No comments: