Friday, December 18, 2009

I have an Apartment





I am no longer homeless (my homelessness has been spent in the Comfort Inn). I have an apartment. It's a small place, but it's in my price range and it overlooks a pool. Apartment hunting has been depressing. I felt like Goldilocks. One apartment was too small, another apartment reeked of smoke, another apartment's exterior was painted a drab brown gray, one place had a nice view but it smelled of mold. I finally settled on a place that had a nice interior and new carpet, but I hated the view--the bay window overlooked the parking lot. I thought--"For this price I can survive the view". But this morning I resolved to look just a little more and discovered a place that looked nice inside and the view beat looking at a parking lot--it overlooked a pool and the apartment complex's main office (see the top picture).

I was surprised that I had more opinion on these matters than I thought I did, but I still went mostly by gut. Actually, I went a lot by smell. If the smell of a place was even slightly off, I didn't want it. Also, I looked a lot at color. For some reason many of the apartments in the area I was looking in were painted a dark greenish brown or a coral pink. I felt depressed just driving into those complexes.

If all goes well, I move in this Wednesday!

*The pictures at the top were taken from the apartment's website. I would just give a link to their website but for my own safety I don't want to reveal where I live.

**Also, the second picture shows a furnished kitchen. I have miles to go before my kitchen will look like the one in the picture.

7 comments:

heidileanne said...

Yay! I've been waiting for an update from you very patiently. :) So glad to hear you have a nice apartment to call home. It is very cute too! The kitchen is nicer than mine (maybe not as big, but MUCH prettier, decorations not included). Hope the move-in goes well. Good luck!

Laura said...

I'm so happy for you! And boy, that was quick! Yeah! Now you can enjoy your time in TN without worrying about being homeless. Have a wonderful Christmas!

American Swede Photography said...

Yeah, Julie!!! What a relief to have found "home"! Now you can kind of get on with the rest of your life! :) . . . I wish we'd been more patient in searching for our first apartment. It would have saved another move and a whole lot of frustration. Your place looks really nice! So happy for you!

jc said...

Heidi: Glad to know you've been waiting for an update. :)

Laura: Yes, knowing I have a place to land will make the holidays much much nicer.

Kristen: Dave told me that Miss E is already planning to swim in the pool.

Marlise said...

Congratulations!! I'm so happy things are working out for you. I remember that feeling of apartment hunting... yuck!! The place looks wonderful. At least you have a pool nearby!

Deanna Beryl said...

My mouth was wide opened when I saw the first picture. You're living in that apartment?! WHEEEEEEEEEEEE! :)

jc said...

Marlise: Yeah, apartment hunting is no fun. I'm looking forward to swimming once the weather warms up a bit.

Deanna: Well, the first picture is my view. I should send you more interior pictures for some interior design tips. :)