Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Seasons of Mission College

Today, I came downstairs into my kitchen and inhaled the nice smell of chicken poop. "Ah," I wondered, "Is it time for the stinky chicken smell again?"

Over breakfast I pondered that Mission College has seasons. We don't have spring, summer, autumn, winter... No, no, we have the following seasons:

The season of the slugs (step, step, crunch, crunch, ughhh!)
The season when the snakes come out (My favorite time...sometimes we even get to spot a cobra or two.)
The season of the awful ants (These ants with wings invade our homes and donate their wings to our floors.)
And then of course--the season of the all-pervading-can't-quite-get-rid-of-it chicken poop smell.

There is nothing poetic about our seasons, but who needs poetry when you can have slugs, snakes, ants and the smell of chickens!

PS The chicken smell went away and then it rained...so I had another smell to delight in--petrichor--the smell of the earth after it rains.

See http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-pet2.htm for more information about petrichor.

5 comments:

Jules said...

i remember the smell...of the chicken poop...haha! :D

jc said...

It's one of those horrible inescapable smells. Argh!

Desvaríos Dorisianos said...

hehe...indeed...and remember, there's also the snail season...
here's the stat site I recommended http://www.onestatfree.com/

heidileanne said...

I love that I have a new word, petrichor, for my all time favorite smell.
I bet you can't wait to get back home to the "real" seasons, I would!

jc said...

Thanks for the site Doris..snail season should be our favorite time. :)

Yes Heidi, I'm looking forward to fall!!