Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Being a Student Vs. Being a Teacher

I'm not sure if it is better to be a student or a teacher. There are many things I miss about being a student. I miss the luxury of being able to day dream or write letters if a class is boring. Now, if a class is boring...there isn't much to do but (gulp) figure out why my students are falling asleep. I miss only being responsible for myself. I miss the only bad consequences of not planning well, is getting a bad grade. I miss playing hooky. It's a little harder to run away for a day when you need to think about how that will affect your students.

On the other hand, the advantages of being a teacher are plenty. By the time finals roll along, I'm happy. By then, most of my work is done (okay besides the hours of marking that come later). I also like the power to cancel things. If I'm falling behind in my work, than I can cancel some assignments so I can catch up.

And as much as I grumble about how much school and work occupies my mind (I have to make a conscious effort not to worry about classes while I'm at home), I love the constant challenge that being a teacher brings to me. Every day, every class, I'm discovering (sometimes painfully) that there are better ways to go about what I'm doing. I'm forced to grow.

4 comments:

Jules said...

Being a student vs. being a teacher - I often thought about which was better. Sometimes in class, I would just pause and think back to my college days. But, I wouldn't be honest if I said "I hated my job as a teacher". I loved it, not whole-heartedly though, but the challenges I faced in the 11 months of being a teacher taught me a lot of valuable lessons. :)

Btw, I hope I never slept in any of your classes! :D

jc said...

Ha. Ha. Indeed, you never did nap in any of my classes--but I think you were one of the ones who laughed when I walked into the wall...wait I deserved that. It's interesting to make that transition from student to teacher, isn't it?

Jules said...

Indeed it is!

heidileanne said...

I've thought about this same thing too. Often when I would teach, I would miss being a student, and how much less responsibility there is. Then, at the same time, whenever I go back to school for CE's I miss the power of deciding what we do, and how we do it. . .