Saturday, January 27, 2007

Teaching

Recently, I woke one night and feeling as if someone had knocked the wind out of me. I sat up in bed, looked at the shadows on my wall, and I asked myself this question, "Can I ever do it? Can I ever pull off teaching the way I was taught? "

College for me was exciting. I was fortunate enough to attend classes that (at times) gave me goose bumps. I remember lying awake in bed thinking about all the things that I had learned during the day. My mind was simply swimming in ideas. I would roll the ideas over and over in my head. Some ideas would catch me for days or even weeks. (I think I thought about postmodernism and its implications for years.)

I often feel so helpless against what was given me. Can I ever be the kind of teacher that my teachers were? Will I have what it takes to create metanonia (a change of mind), a conversion to ideas?

As a teacher, I am an evangelist for mind. I am a PR officer for thought.
I can give my students knowledge, but can I give them wonder?

No comments: