Friday, February 11, 2011

Busy Blessings

I had a friend who once told me something about math that I felt was good way to look at life. When his students asked him if math was fun. He said, "Math isn't always fun, but it is rewarding."

My blessings (a good job and a ministry) are like that. My blessings keep me busy. I sometimes want the "fun" of being able to linger in bed, have full weekends with nothing to do, or not stay in the office late, but on the other hand I love the sense of satisfaction, meaning, and joy that comes as a direct result of my busyness.

I'm not advocating overwork. In fact, I'm looking at ways to schedule more times for doing important things like sitting on the beach all day or long meandering drives around Florida, but I'm grateful--grateful to God to be so busily blessed.

4 comments:

Mai said...

As a Math teacher, I can agree with that statement! And it's a great outlook on life!

Tiffany said...

Wow Julie, you sure summed that up in the right words. You always know how to put it! That's exactly how I feel about my busyness/teaching.

Marlise said...

I like your examples of "important things". I need that, too! Hope you and I both find time for important things!

jc said...

Mai: I didn't know you were a math teacher. I've always respected you but the respect level just went up. ;)
Tiffany: I felt the busyness even more overseas. I also felt more rewarded in my work.
Marlise: I'm taking the beach day tomorrow! In fact, I hope to go watch a space launch from the beach. Do go to the beach!